IR State Finals Preview- Girls Teams
Updated: Oct 31, 2019
IndianaRunner.com: 2019 Cross Country State Meet Preview – Girls Teams
Top 24 Team Predictions
1. FW Carroll
4. Columbus North
5. Bloomington North
9. West Lafayette
10. FW Homestead
13. Floyd Central
14. Hamilton Southeastern
16. FW Concordia
17. Bloomington South
20. Lake Central
21. Harrison (Lafayette)
Teams in the Mix to Win:
* Carmel has a tight pack with the ‘Hounds scoring 134 points in our mock semi-state based on inccstats’ adjusted performances at the semi-state. The return to two-time All-Stater Phoebe Bates should energize Carmel, and inserting typical top runner Jasmine Klopstad, who didn’t compete at the semi-state should help as well.
* Carroll is a pretty heavy favorite, nearly forty points ahead of second place in our mock state meet. The Chargers are top heavy with three potential All-Staters and an individual contender in junior Zoe Duffus. Carroll is also the defending champion after outdueling fellow contender Zionsville last fall, a year removed from Zionsville winning the title in 2017.
* Zionsville has a knack for running really well at the state meet, especially in the last two years with a first and second place finish. Depth could be an issue for the Eagles, but they do have an array of established runners that could give them a big race at the most important time. Zionsville could challenge Carroll and outdistance itself from Carmel, but it would need a big race from one of its fifth, sixth or seventh runners from the semi-state.
Teams in the mix for a Podium Finish:
* Bloomington North was second at the Brown County Semi-state and fifth in our mock state meet based on those semi-state results. The Cougars have a penchant for running well in the most important races.
* Brebeuf has two potential All-Staters in sophomore Madeline Keller and senior Zoe Simmons. The Braves’ cautious approach early and moving up late has had issues at some state meets in the past. Brebeuf was fifth (on sixth runner tiebreaker) in our mock state meet.
* Chatard has the frontrunning to ascend the podium. Depth and inexperience could be an issue for this young team. The Trojans’ fourth and fifth runners finished substantially behind other potential medal teams at the semi-state.
* Columbus North is the most solid of this group, winning the Brown County Semi-state and finishing fourth in our mock state meet with 209 points. The Bull Dogs have four top runners and will need a good race at five to finish in the top four this weekend.
* Noblesville has flashed potential to be a great team at points this season. Successful pack running would be huge if the Millers’ fourth and fifth runners can hang with their teammates for the majority of the race.
* West Lafayette has the longest odds of any of these teams to finish in the top five, but we have learned never to count out the Red Devils in the state finals.
Teams hoping for a top 10 Finish:
* Fishers looked like a surefire podium team earlier in the season but injuries have taken a toll. The Tigers should have a full line-up this weekend.
* Floyd Central has a great frontrunner in senior Sydney Liddle and more than adequate depth for a top ten finish.
* Homestead had one of its better races of the season at the state meet. The Spartans should be right around the top half of teams this weekend with two potential All-Staters at the top of the line-up.
* Ritter was a surprise qualifier out of the toughest semi-state, but they have the frontrunning with the Wehrle Sisters to finish in the top ten.